Infectious Disease (including COVID-19)
At Barnwell Academy the well-being of our community is of the utmost importance. We take the health and safety of our pupils, staff and parents very seriously and, while there is currently no cause for concern at our school, we will continue to keep you updated with any developments in managing any infectious outbreak.
We receive regular information from the Department for Education (DFE) and Public Health England (PHE).
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. The general principles anyone can follow include:
- washing your hands often - with soap and water.
- covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throwing the tissue in a bin. See Catch it, Bin it, Kill it
- people who feel unwell should stay at home and should not attend work or any education or childcare setting
- pupils, students, staff and visitors should wash their hands:
- before leaving home
- on arrival at school
- after using the toilet
- after breaks and sporting activities
- before food preparation
- before eating any food, including snacks
- before leaving school
- use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- if you are worried about your symptoms or those of a child or colleague, please call NHS 111. Do not go directly to your GP or other healthcare environment
- see further information on the NHS UK website.
For further information on COVID-19: Guidance for education settings please click here.
Please check that you have provided us with your most up-to-date contact details to ensure you receive any correspondence and also keep in touch through our newsletters, Barnwell Academy APP and school Twitter.
During the pandemic it may be unavoidable to secure the smooth running of our school meals service. Our emergency school meals arrangements can be found on our 'School Meals' website page.