Our PSHE Curriculum
At Barnwell Academy, it is our intent to deliver a high-quality PSHE curriculum that develop skills and attributes such as resilience, self-esteem, risk-management, team-working and critical thinking in the context of three core themes: health and well-being, relationships and living in the wider world. It is successfully adapted for all pupils to help children to understand the world and their place in it.
Our strong PSHE curriculum is important to help our pupils develop into well-rounded members of society, who are able to make a positive contribution to their community. At Barnwell Academy, our PSHE curriculum is strongly linked to our relationships and health education (RSE), pastoral care programme and the promotion of British Values.
Pupils will learn to:
- Understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle.
- Understand safety issues, both in real life and online.
- Develop responsibility and independence within school which they will take forward into society in their working lives.
- Respect other people, in particular, learning to respect the different cultural/ethnic/religious/gendered viewpoints of others in our school community and the wider world.
- Understand what constitutes ‘socially acceptable’ behaviour at school and in society.
- Be a constructive member of society.
- Understand democracy.
- Develop good relationships with peers and adults.
- Develop self-confidence, self-esteem and self-worth.
- Make positive, informed choices as they make their way through life.
- Understand that they have a right to speak up about issues or events, and to respect other’s right to do the same.
PSHE is taught discretely each week. Lessons are clearly, logically and progressively planned to allow children to reflect and develop their knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe, and prepared for life and work.
It is our belief that the impact of our high expectations equips children with the knowledge and skills needed to develop into well-rounded members of society, who are able to make a positive contribution to their community.